Feral in Cataclysm
If you have not read the coming class changes head over to MMO-Champion and take a gander.
Let’s look at the changes coming up for ferals.
- Thrash (Level 81): Thrash deals damage and causes all targets within 10 yards to bleed every 2 seconds for 6 seconds. The intent here is to give bears another button to hit while tanking. Talents will affect the bleed, such as causing Swipe to deal more damage to bleeding targets. 5-second cooldown. 25 Rage. Ok… quick summary… more AoE threat and damage than we have now by adding a second AoE ability… sounds fun.
- Stampeding Roar (Level 83): The druid roars, increasing the movement of all allies within 10 yards by 40% for 8 seconds. Stampeding Roar can be used in cat or bear form, but bears might have a talent to drop the cooldown. The goal of this ability is to give both bears and cats a little more situational group utility. 3-minute cooldown. No cost. Um… ok… so obviously handy for PvP I guess… and now instead of just running away in PvE raids we hit this ability then run away… sounds fun I suppose.
- Wild Mushroom (Level 85): Grows a magical mushroom at the target location. After 4 seconds the mushroom becomes invisible. Enemies who cross the mushroom detonate it, causing it to deal area-of-effect damage, though its damage component will remain very effective against single targets. The druid can also choose to detonate the mushroom ahead of time. This is primarily a tool for the Balance druid, and there will be talents that play off of it. No cooldown. 40-yard range. Instant cast. Blizzard fans, please stop sending the homemade brownies to the Devs. This looks like a balance PvP spell but I guess it might have bear pull potential depending if we have it without being spec balance and how long the CD might be… sort of like pulling with Hurricane but without the channel component.
- We are getting our own version of rogue kick for a reliable interrupt. This is a very nice addition for both PvE and PvP.
- Barkskin is undispellable. This is inline with Blizzard trying to make PvP encounters less bursty. If you don’t PvP this is meaningless.
- We will be buffing the damage of Mangle (cat) significantly so that when cat druids cannot Shred, they are not at such a damage-dealing loss. So instead of removing the positional requirement of shred they buff Mangle… I guess this will give us something to debate as Mangle spam builds will be looked at once again. Obviously another decent buff to our PvP ability.
- We want to make the Feral cat damage rotation slightly more forgiving. We do not want to remove what druids like about their gameplay, but we do want to make it less punishing to miss, say, a Savage Roar or Rake. The changes here will be on par with increasing the duration of Mangle like we did for patch 3.3.3. I am going to go out on a limb here and say they give Savage Roar a Horn of Winter like CD. This would go a long way to making our rotation a little easier.
Mastery Passive Talent Tree Bonus
- Melee Damage
- Melee Critical Damage
- Bleed Damage
- Damage Reduction
- Savage Defense
Bleed Damage and Savage Defense: Feral druids will receive two sets of passive bonuses depending on whether the druid is in cat or bear form. Bleed Damage will be improved for cats. Savage Defense is the current bear mechanic for converting crits into damage absorption and will be improved for bears.
Vengeance: This is a mechanic to ensure that tank damage (and therefore threat) doesn’t fall behind as damage-dealing classes improve their gear during the course of the expansion. All tanking specs will have Vengeance as their second talent tree passive bonus. Whenever a tank gets hit, Vengeance will give them a stacking attack power buff equal to 5% of the damage done, up to a maximum of 10% of the character’s unbuffed health.
So nothing crazy fun for us kitties or bears really from what I can see. I was going to list some of the more interesting changes for other classes but there are so many you should visit MMO Champ and just take a read of all the classes for things like Hunters getting unlimited pets finally and rogues getting an AoE smoke cloud which makes melee impossible within it.