Collecting Bear gear as a Cat
So you have been doing the kitty thing and since your focus is DPS you don’t have the DKP to pick up the best tanking gear for the off chance you are needed to fill that role one night. So what is a poor kitty to do to make sure he/she is geared as well as possible to pick up a nights tanking duty. Here is my list of possible gear to get without sacrificing anything on the kitty side. Please note I am paying no attention to Heroic 25 versions, just know they are the same name of what I listed but have better stats. I also make no effort to post both the Alliance and Horde names.
- Head – Stormrage Coverlet from Ony is awesome and if you are lucky and the only feral in the raid you should get it for free. The other option is 50 emblems and using Malfurion’s Headguard of Conquest. Worst case scenario is using Conqueror’s Nightsong Headguard and you should be swimming in Conquest Emblems so shouldn’t be a huge deal to get. This is a slot where you don’t want to share for kitty and bear due to the Meta gem slot and head enchants.
- Neck – Not really much you can do in this slot as the best items come from boss drops and will be bought by your regular duty tanks. Best scenario here is to double duty this slot for cat and bear and use Charge of the Demon Lord
- Shoulder – Duskstalker Shoulderpads or even Malfurion’s Shoulderpads of Conquest are nice or double duty with your best DPS shoulders and use the DPS chant and gems. IMHO the tank chant is just not a huge dealbreaker in this slot.
- Cloak – Same issue as neck, use 1 item for both bear and cat Drape of the Untamed Predator.
- Chest – I want to say double duty this one too. Chant on either would be 10+ stats, go with agility gems again. Just use the best kitty chest you have of course.
- Wrist – Same issue as head really as you would want a stamina enchant and not Greater Assault for tanking. So since we won’t share here go with Titan-Forged Armwraps of Triumph purchased with 15 WG marks… Unless you have already upgraded from Ulduar BiS wrists to ToC level gear, then use your old ones.
- Hands – This slot can also pull double duty. Worst case scenario use T9 for 30 Emblems of Triumph.
- Waist – I would use this item as double duty. This means more agility than stamina since you won’t put stam gems in a DPS belt but hopefully the stam gems in the bear only items will give you enough HP, worst case is you boost stam with trinkets (see below). Belt of the Merciless Killer.
- Legs – No double duty here, Stam gems and tanking enchant IMHO. Either use Titan-Forged Leather Legguards of Triumph bought with WG marks or T8 or Leggings of the Broken Beast or T9 depending on what you are using for your Kitty set and what you have upgraded from in the past.
- Feet – Another double duty item. Whatever you are using for Kitty atm should be fine for bear as well.
- Rings – Clutch of Fortification is a complete no brainer for 35 Emblems of Triumph. Dexterous Brightstone Ring is the other no brainer and can pull double duty and is also 35 Emblems and you most likely bought it for Kitty DPS anyway.
- Trinkets – Double duty at first Death’s Verdict / Darkmoon Card: Greatness but look into getting The Black Heart from 5 man ToC non heroic so you can grind for it. If you can grind for both Bitter Balebrew Charm and Bubbling Brightbrew Charm during the Brewfest event an absolute gift to ferals if you have both as it becomes easy again to get over 51K health with these.
- Weapon – Pull double duty here with Lupine Longstaff or Archon Glaive but enchant with Mongoose and not Berserker. If you want use an older Ulduar staff that you replaced that should be fine as well, but for threat reasons I don’t recommend it. Maybe you can luck out and make a case for Reclaimed Thunderstrike.
- Idol – Idol of the Corruptor and just 19 Emblems of Conquest. You can double duty Idol of Mutilation if you are terribly lazy.
Keep in mind all my suggestions revolve around the fact that you can’t roll against your regualr tanks for gear and/or don’t want to waste DKP on items that are for tanking only.