How to fix Kitty DPS?
Give us a ranged AoE like FoK… that should do it.
First let me start by saying, as a hybrid class I don’t have a problem being middle of the pack as melee DPS. Collecting the right gear, I can tank, be a healer, or even be a viable ranged DPS… so I see no reason to QQ that I don’t top the meters.
Second, lets take a look at at the front page of State of DPS and use some rational thoughts on each fight and where we sit compared to other melee (we are going to ignore ranged some what as a melee to range DPS comparison right now goes into a fight mechanics argument about how melee are currently screwed in this tier of content)
- Magmaw – We are getting beat by quite a few melee DPS, we are only 400DPS behind Ret Pallies or 2% behind them. Frost DK’s are #1 on this fight and a quick look at the top Frost DK on this fight in WOL shows he did 29% of his damage using Howling Blast… hmmm, numbers bolsterd by DPSing adds… what do you know. Rogues are only slightly behind the DK’s… FoK anyone? By the way, even though SoDps shows DK’s as #1 WoL has a Warrior in that spot… and a look at the parse… Shockwave at 20% of the DPS… yes, on parasites.
- ODS – Looking at SoDps we are 5% DPS behind Rogues and a little more behind Unholy DK which I assume are getting a benefit from having a pet on this fight… we are middle of the pack on DPS including ranged.
- Chimaeron – We come in tied for 2nd melee DPS on this fight and we are high even including ranged DPS. Apparently we can shred even when in front of this boss which I am sure helps. Rogues are number 1 in this fight and I bet you it is because at the end of the fight they are DPSing hard right at the end while using evasion while I am in a corner waiting for the boss to come after me so I can meld… again, just some common sense observations pertaining to the fight mechanics and what people are doing.
- Atramedes – We are behind here and I don’t know about everyone else but I am designated to gong and kite using dash so I have some down time in this fight… even without dash/stampede we run the fastest of the classes so I bet a lot of ferals are doing this for the group.
- Maloriak – We are middle of the pack including even ranged. DK’s ranked the highest melee and I will guess frost are getting extra DPS on adds but Unholy being so high is interesting… will have to investigate further cause I find it hard to believe it’s due to an edge from death coil being a ranged attack.
So for now I am going to stop… I have other things I could be doing… I have not done Nef yet myself so I prefer to wait and comment on that fight and the parses after I do. A quick look at BoT shows us middle of the pack on Council and Cho and only slightly behind that on Wyrm and Double Dragons. On Wyrm I would need to take a closer look at why we are so far behind compared to other melee but I am sure it has something to do with that fight on Heroic that I don’t know about because I have not done it on Heroic.
In conclusion, numbers alone don’t tell the whole story. There will always be fights that favor a class, a build, a talent, a glyph, ranged or melee. The one fight where we can sit and just do our thing (Chimaeron) we are at the top and even on that fight I would be surprised if we are not tossing out an innervate, a B rez, doing some end fight kiting, or popping a bark and tranquility. It would be nice to have the same opportunity to bolster our numbers from an AoE on adds during an encounter but I have to question if it is really necessary. Maybe the next Tier of content will see us rise some compared to others but if we stay middle of the pack I for one will still be happy progressing along doing my thing.