Kitties be ready
Patch 4.0.1 is on the way. As most know this is the start of the Cataclysm event and many things will change. The following is going to dramatically change your ability to DPS…
- Loss of FAP (Feral Attack Power).
- ArP is no more, your ArP gems become Crit gems (and that sucks)
- Talents change (You will lose expertise and crit)
There are a thing or 2 changing as well, but these are the big 3… well, and the change to Savage Roar… you can read about it.
A few good sources of specific changes that detail why our DPS is going to stink come the patch…
In order just to keep your DPS above hunter and lock pets you will need to re-gem Agility, Reforge for either Mastery or Haste, and switch gear or gem to pick up a little expertise.
OK, so maybe that explanation is a little melodramatic, however that is honestly what it looks like is going to happen. A 14K DPSing kitty in Icecrown will be putting out about half the DPS they were… probably about 8k-ish. People are saying Bear DPS is higher than kitty post patch.
My short term advice…
- Be prepared to respec to Boom. Hopefully you have been picking up caster items that would have been otherwise DEed.
- Be prepared to take a vacation until Cata hits where your low DPS won’t really matter during leveling. If you stay kitty don’t bother dropping a bunch of gold on new agility gems, just take a break and replace your gear a week or 2 into Cataclysm.
- Finish out Wrath having fun playing your Hunter or other Alt.
My long term advice…
- Level Boom in Cata, because you will be less broken. Continue to check back to my site and I will let you know when Feral Kitty is again viable.
- Keep caster gear rewards where there are no melee / melee leather rewards. Where there are good melee DPS rewards be cautious if there is a good caster reward instead.
- Consider doing more quests for gear even after hitting 85 so you have options.
- Do not suddenly spend Justice points until things get sorted out. If your friends are ready for Heroics and Raiding at some point you might have to commit to casting in Cataclysm at least for the first tier if they don’t fix our DPS way before then.
Kitty DPS has been really fun in Wrath, I hope it can continue in Cataclysm but I am not holding my breath. A return to Bear/Cat Utility spec, Tanking, or becoming a caster looks to be in our future.