Kitty DPS… Theory, Gear, Reality?
So I spent most of the day revisiting my kitty and bear gear sets.
Now that I am kitty DPS first, tank after… if ever… I had to take some of my better gear and start using it in my kitty set… like my T8.5 helm, Iron boots, etc.
I am going to update my gear page with the new sets along with what I plan on getting gear wise and how updating my gear will change depending on what drops I am able to get and when.
Let me start by saying I finally got my T8.5 chest and promptly dropped the 2T7 / 2T8 combo I was using for kitty. The set bonus of 4T8 is so close to 2T7 and 2T8 that the better stats of the 4T8 gear slightly outweigh the 2 and 2 sets bonus.
I did quite a bit of research today on the various models out there for kitty DPS. I chose to look at 2 to determine my changes in gearing.
- FBN – Feral By Night model – This is Nightcrowlers model, it likes armor pen.
- RAWR – I guess we can say this is Astrylian’s model, it is not as big on armor pen.
I also took a long read at the latest kitty DPS thread over at Elitest Jerks HERE.
I fully realize that there has been a lot of testing put into these models so I do feel it is safe to follow the recommendations of either one or a mixture of the 2.
What I quickly realized is to go full bore kitty DPS, gemming for ArmPen where suggested, would gimp my shared items that I use for tanking. This is what I decided to do when trying to maximize my kitty DPS as it pertains to gear.
- Put ArmPen gems in items that are strictly used for kitty DPS. Items used for both tanking and kitty DPS got agility. I honestly think even when between 200-300 ArmPen +16 AGI and +16 ARP are going to give you about the same DPS. I do feel however that when we approach higher levels of ARP through some of the ARP trinket procs and more ARP gear the ARP gems would become more valuable… but I am not at that point yet gear wise.
- Shred Idol or Rip Idol. Supposedly once we hit greater than 200 ARP from gear we should both Gem for ARP (I am only doing this some what as I stated before) and switch to the shred idol for harder hitting shreds. I honestly think doing this as a blanket change is a mistake. We already know to use the rip idol on Kologarn because we can’t get behind him but on movement fights I would also probably stick with the rip idol. Razor, Ignis, XT, Vezax, Freya, Thorim, Auriaya, Yogg would be shred idol and Hodir, Mimiron, Kologarn, and on Runemaster and Stormcaller for IC would be rip idol. It is going to take 3 weeks of raiding but I plan on swapping the 2 idols and seeing how it goes. I will report back my real encounter findings. Test dummies in IF suggest sticking with rip idol but that is hardly a real encounter test being self buffed and with FFF and mangle being the only debuff on the target.
- Kitty DPS build adjustments. I didn’t take 5 on Feral Aggression for 2 reasons… so few FB especially on movement fights and I didn’t want to give up my increased DPS on AoE swipe or the raid healing ImpLotP which I know helps the healers on encounters with raid wide damage at least a little.
- Mangle vs SR glyph. I changed over to SR glyph as I have a tendency in actual fights to mangle a lot… this is another real world effect of running in and out, in front.. behind.. whatever.
- Food – Going to try out the suggested +40 ARP rhino food.
- +Hit – I won’t gem for it but I will make sure I keep it at a reasonable level through gear selection. It is at 228 and I am fine with it. I have Icewalker chant on my boots when my next gear swap raises hit I will put on agility chant. I don’t like missing… it messes with my flow and distracts me.
So, that being said here is what I am wearing and how I would like to update my set… I will rarely mention hard mode gear as I don’t see having the time to get to much hard mode encounters before the next raid content is released.
- Conqueror’s Nightsong Headguard – Red Gem Agility for tanking some things. I did meta gem/chant my T7.5 helm for tanking however. Good here, I expect no upgrade or change.
- Favor of the Dragon Queen – Red Gem ARP, DPS only item. Will upgrade to the Broach of the Wailing Night but not a priority.
- Treacherous Shoulderpads – Red Gem ARP, DPS only item. Would upgrade to Conqueror’s Nightsong Shoulderpads so I could wear non Tier pants which offer higher DPS. Shoulderpads of the Monolith would be a waste of DKP considering my ultimate kitty gear goals.
- Aged Winter Cloak – Want to upgrade to Drape of the Lithe but not a huge deal.
- Conqueror’s Nightsong Raiments – Gemmed for agility, used for tanking at times. Good here, no upgrade needed.
- Mechanist’s Bindings – No socket, doubtful upgrade from Agalon or XT 10 man hard mode. I won’t rule out a hard mode XT kill for Fluxing Energy Coils but it is unlikely.
- Conqueror’s Nightsong Handgrips – Red Gem Agility, these are my tanking and dps gloves. No upgrade, will be used for set bonus.
- Belt of the Tortured – Orange Gem for Meta in helm. +8 AGI/+8CRIT. Right now a weak point in my setup but needed for +hit. Need to upgrade to Relic Hunter’s Cord which would up the ARP anty with +hit.
- Valorous Nightsong Legguards – Red Gem AGI for some tanking use. I have Valorous Dreamwalker Legguards with tanking gems and chant just in case as well. Here is where it gets a little complicated. Leggings of Wavering Shadow would be a really nice upgrade if I need the hit… probably if I were to get Lotrafen, Spear of the Damned – If I were to end up with Twisted Visage then I am guessing Proto-hide Leggings might be the way to go. I am really not sure what I am going to do here yet. If I can get T8.5 pants before shoulders I might just not worry about it.
- Runed Ironhide Boots – Red Gem AGI, also used for tanking when not wearing Polar Boots for the big STA numbers. Not looking to upgrade here.
- Surge Needle Ring and Strong-Handed Ring – Looking to upgrade to Cindershard Ring and Band of Draconic Guile which would both be a nice pickup of ARP. I will lose some hit if I change out both but hopefully it gets picked up elsewhere… prob from Twisted Visage.
- Mirror of Truth and Darkmoon Card: Greatness – If you follow the ARP thought I want Mjolnir Runestone but Thorim hard mode is unlikely especially 10 man. I am not heading back to Naxx for Grim Toll. Blood of the Old God is supposed to be pretty nice, would prob go well with the Polearm but I can’t see needing that much extra hit if I end up with Twisted Visage which I am guessing is most likely. So I am guessing a change from the Mirror to Wrathstone is going to be my most likely change.
- Idol of Worship or Idol of the Ravenous Beast – There is a suggestion that if you are handling Mangle for your raid that Idol of the Corruptor becomes BiS but I don’t know. If it drops I would pick it up regardless for my tanking set.
- Journey’s End – I would love Twisted Visage but XT absolutely hates me… 13 kills by the way is not a charm. Dreambinder is BiS but comes from a dreaded hard mode with Freya 25. Lotrafen, Spear of the Damned would be great but will require maintaining hit elsewhere… which would prob not be too hard.
So that is my Kitty gear strategy as it stands today. If you have seen some of the gear coming in 3.2 you know right away at this juncture very few items are really necessary with all that new gear on the horizon.
Wed next week I should be doing the same bosses again in Ulduar that I did this week and I will report back what changes in DPS occurred from upgrading a couple of pieces that came from my tanking set along with the effect of raising my ARP. I have a feeling my DPS will be really close or close enough that the changes I made barely mattered but I guess we will see.