Rumors of our demise are greatly exagerated.
Folks, if you are hearing that Kitty DPS stinks at that we are bottom of the barrel you need to correct people. Have them check out some WOL parses and let them know that Simulators are not indicative of what is happening in actual raids and that stateofdps.com is not the end all be all of what is going on with WOW DPS balance.
Looking at the parses from my own raids and guild, including groups with Hunters, DPS DK’s, Mages, Rogues… (all in the preferred specs) I consistently fall above, even, or just slightly below the top DPS.
Now, if you are finding this is not the case there are things you can do…
- Get Unheeded Warning. it is our new BiS and you should be able to buy it of the AH for 10Kish gold.
- Buy Epic Gear. We have a lot of BoE Epics we can get… Helm, Chest, Boots, Cloak, Neck, Belt, Ring, Trinket (see #1).
- Grind Rep. We have a some slots we can get Epics from rep. Wildhammer gloves and Earthen Ring, Ring come to mind.
- Grind 5 mans for VP and T11 gear.
- Stay on bosses and adds as much as possible. If I have learned nothing else it is that we lose a lot of DPS from moving away or between targets. Use Feral Charge, Dash, and even Barkskin and SI to stay in melee range with your target. I recommend key binding Feral Charge it’s so important for DPS.
- Get an Addon to track your DoTs and Abilities. I personally still use Fbn even though it’s broke. It really does not matter that it is broken because I just use it to know when Rip, Rake, and SR need refreshing and when Berserk and TF is off CD. It doesn’t know for example that I should be refreshing Rip with FB under 25%… but I do, so it works fine for what I need. (Disclaimer, it is broke other ways so only use it as a timer, not a true move suggestion)
- If you happen to be an herbalist create a Lifeblood/Tiger’s Fury macro… or use Lifeblood during a berserk moment.
- Save Berserk and other DPS increase CD’s like on use trinkets when the provide the biggest bang. Like when the head is down on Magmaw for example.
- Balance your gear so that your rotation feels natural and smooth. This comes with experience and playing with gear and stats. Although expertise and hit can be ignored for other more important stats you might want to add some back if you feel your rotation is getting wonky due to misses and what not.
- Make sure you understand fights so you can strategically do what you need to do. If that means explaining to your raid up front that you will be staying on the boss when they are expecting you to move, let them know your plans and how you will come with whatever mechanic that would require you to move out. For example on Maloriak when he goes to the blue vial if you are running DBM you will see a cool down timer for Flash Freeze
and you can safely continue DPSing the boss until you have to get out of range of the tank and it hits someone else. (P.S. I sometime use a Feral Charge here to break out a fellow raider quickly). Analyzing other fights will help you find other opportunities like this.
- Lastly, get and Addon like DBM which times fight events… for reasons like the last point.
I am by no means an awesome Kitty druid. But by doing things like the above I can definitely hold my own in my guild. If you find you can’t do well enough for a raid spot in your guild… well, you either need to improve or you need to find another guild less hard core.