My Blog

A long time ago I asked a certain WOW blogger how to have a successful blog and his response was write the blog for yourself, if people come to read it great… if not no loss to you. If you go read his latest blog post it sounds like he is changing his story… or is he…

For the most part that has been the direction of my blog mostly consisting of links to theorycrafting and gear rankings, posts of my raid progression and gear, and then just mindless crazy thoughts that might pop in my head. I started doing more posts on gear lists and what gear a feral wants and needs and why, because I had a lot of in game questions that I found easier to answer in this blog than whispering in Dalaran or Ironforge.

I post my raid progression for 2 reasons.

1. So my friends both in WOW and RL get an idea of where I am in the game in case they have any questions.
  2. For feral druids to see what is possible in game for our class and any specific tips I might have for any given encounter or boss fight.

I post gear lists for 2 reasons.

1. To keep it straight in my own head of what I want to spend DKP on so I can have it open to my post when raiding to make quick choices.
  2. So the people that ask me in game all the time about what gear they should be looking for can come to the site and get a full explanation.

The rest of my posting consists of cursing out blizzard or thanking them, talking about upcoming changes, talking about my adds, or rarely even about RL stuff.

Going forward I plan on doing a couple of things.

1. A page dedicated to the noob. It’s easy to think everyone playing WOW has a level 80 toon and knows what they are doing but the reality is there are probably just as many new people coming to the game as old players leaving.
  2. Video. I will most likely start running fraps on all my raids here on out so I can capture some of the funny stuff. Hopefully my first video up will be a successful 3D followed by the first boss encounter in Uldar!
  3. More RL posting. I actually have always thought about being a comedy writer… I would do stand up but I don’t think I have the stage presence for most of my material.
  4. More of the same old gear and progression posts.
  5. More pointing and linking to nuggets I find about in game mechanics or tips/tricks.
  6. Add a forum for noob questions irregardless of class. No question will be too noobish. expect a lot of “wowhead it” answers… lol… I am not looking up coordinates for people.

What I won’t do.

1. Mathmatical Theorycrafting… I don’t do math and frankly I only see it as a guide but not a rule. I use the models to get an idea of what gear I should spend DKP on but more often than not I have to come to my own conclusions of what I actually equip for what encounter based on my own playing style, the specific mechanics of the particular fight, and the playstyle and abilites of the players around me. I will point people to good posts about theorycrafting that I might find and agree with.
  2. Spend more time on my blog than on playing the game itself… I have my 80 Druid, and 80 Lock, a 77 DK that I am working on getting to 80, and a level 68 Horde hunter. I still have lots of game to play. In my forthcoming About Me I will explain how my alts factor into my WOW life and why I don’t write about them much.

Ok, now about the purple… I might be changing it. Personally I like it but my wife doesn’t, my daughter said it looks like a girls website, and at first glance I always think I landed on the Jokers website. It’s not terribily difficult to change so I might go with tones of green or blue instead… I don’t know yet… maybe some Warcraft type colors of parchment tans and browns…

Lastly, If you have a broadband connection and about 1 hour download the movie from ColdBear. I recommend getting it from Megauploads. It’s long but a nice nostalgic look back at every… ok, I can’t confirm that but it looks true… every boss in the game being tanked by a bear drood. It even includes footage of world events and the music is pretty damn good as well.

8 Responses to My Blog

• darksend says:

I agree whole-heartedly. I write my blog and my gear guides and my talent reviews not only for my blog and for tankspot, but simply because if i do not do it, I would not be able to understand it myself.

If people read it then great if not, well at least now I can explain the topic to myself.

btw http://mother-bear.blogspot.com/2009/04/community-spotlight-jacemoracom.html

GL with the new host

Thanks! So far so good.

P.S. TankSpot RULES! For most of Wrath before each first boss attempt we would take 5 for everyone to watch TankSpot video of the fight. It helped immensely and I am sure we will continue this method into Uldar.

• darksend says:

LOL, I’m sure cider would be glad to hear it.

Manbearbig and I are the 2 feral druid authors for tankspot. there just are not enough good/non-idiotic feral druids who post there, hence the under-representation (and most ferals still blame tankspot for getting us nerfed so they avoid it like the plague). But we are always looking for more knowledgeable ferals to keep the community there alive.

Getting us nerfed which time? ;)

• Jackie says:

Well very nice, I enjoy your articles, they’re always straight up and informative.

Funny to read about the tankspot druid scene from a commmentator: I thought it was pretty obvious blizzard cant be manipulated by players into nerfing classes! However, TS is still mostly a warrior website, and I tend to think it always will be. That’s really why I dont use it too much – there are too few druids out there who are interested in tanking at the top end, for obvious reasons. Plus, many vocal druids in good guilds fall into the “I cant tank as well as class x after patch y because Blizz screwed me, therefore I’m not going to tank” category. There’s nothing thats more of a downer to druid pride in the community than that. Just imagine if cider + xav started proclaiming that they were going fury because DKs are superior tanks, and they dont want to hold up their guild progression. How would all the warriors on tankspot feel about that?

IMHO we are still feeling the effects from when bears were just not good tanks. Other class tanks are firmly rooted in their MT spots and biases exist with other players stemming back from the same period. The ripple effects are still being felt. I do believe however given the chance a good bear tank can earn a MT spot over another class if they perform better gameplay wise. I am assuming Blizzard hopes this to be the case giving us things like 360 swipe and other talents bringing us more in line with the other tanks.

• Kanti says:

Couple of things and then I will be out of your hair. I love the purple. Purple is my favorite color. Even my hair is purple, and one of my tattoos has purple in it. So I might be biased when I say leave the purple.

I really am looking forward to the new stuff going forward especially the n00b posts. I have a lvl 80 and I still don’t know everything. Not to mention I have over 40 alts. So it will be nice to see content geared towards the non l33t.

-Kanti

• Rubymelon says:

When I first opened your website I liked the color scheme. It fits perfectly with the mount color. If anything get rid of the advertisements>_> But the purple, the header, the RSS feed kitten all look nice!